Position Title: Agricultural Service Technician/Truck Driver
Reports to: Store Manager or Service Manager
Location: Topeka, KS
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Employee Status: Full Time, Permanent
KanEquip has been in business for over 52 years, starting in Wamego, KS. In 1999 KanEquip was formed by merging several locations together. KanEquip is currently one of the largest equipment dealers in North America. KanEquip has grown to having 14 locations across Kansas and Nebraska with over 300 employees. Our main lines are New Holland and Case-IH along with many great shortline companies. KanEquip’s mission is “to be a leader and trusted partner in providing quality products, support and innovative solution to agricultural producers in the Midwest”. KanEquip would love to make you a part of our family and team!
The Service Technician is responsible for performing both basic and complex diagnostics on agricultural and construction equipment, and perform repairs and maintenance on either customer-owned, or dealer-owned, equipment. The Truck Driver operates vehicles to transport equipment and parts for the dealership. He/she instructs the customer on basic equipment operating procedures and may complete a delivery checklist to ensure customer satisfaction. He / she is responsible for good customer communication as needed, ensuring a clean and safe work environment, continually develop technical skills with evolving products, and perform work at customers sites as required.
Company Job Responsibilities (ranked in significance):
- Company Values: Ensures all company values are adhered to and promoted. This would include leading by example and participation in employee recognition programs.
- Communications: Ensures good communication within location, and with other locations / employees. Communicates appropriately with customers, and conveys any operational issues to manager.
Service Technician Job Responsibilities (ranked in significance):
- Service Diagnostics: Performs basic / complex diagnostics on agricultural / construction / outdoor power equipment, determining what repairs are needed and/or recommended for future attention / maintenance. This can be for either customer-owned equipment located at the shop or at customer’s site, or dealer-owned equipment (inspections).
- Service Repairs: Performs repairs on above equipment (electrical, hydraulic, mechanical) as requested by manager. Accountable for performing quality work and attaining stated goals for efficiency.
- Service Training / Development: Participates in all requested job-related training and development, as well as taking an active interest in improving skills with other training programs.
- Service Paperwork: Completes all reports and forms for service operations in a timely and accurate manner. This would include inspection reports, warranty comments, work orders, etc. Uses CNH Asist as appropriate. Uses computers / tablets for data entry as required. Ensure manager is aware of any issues / surprises which can impact customer billing or satisfaction. Ensures accurate timekeeping for job costing.
- Equipment and Tools: Maintains good condition and cleanliness of company vehicles inventory, tools, and equipment, including return of tools to storage areas.
- Safety: Follows all company and common sense safety policies, while using all required personal safety equipment. Ensures a safe work environment in his bay; reports any issues in bay or other service work areas to manager for follow-up.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with other technicians, parts, and sales personnel. Mentors Service Technician Apprentices and junior Technicians as able. Works afterhours (daily or weekend) as required.
Truck Driver Job Responsibilities (ranked in significance):
- Equipment transport: Receives scheduling information from manager, loads trailer with outbound equipment, delivers equipment to destination, unloads equipment, and loads any equipment for the next destination.
- Customer interaction: Contacts customer (or destination) as needed to confirm location / directions as required, and any requirements for unloading, loading, attachment location, etc. Upon arrival, greets customer in a friendly and professional manner. Ensures customer is satisfied with delivered equipment, doing a walk around or brief operation as required. Delivers all attachments and operating manuals to the customer. Confirms customer is satisfied before leaving the premises, and notifies supervisor immediately of any customer concerns.
- Safety and Legal Requirements: Complies with all safety procedures and government regulations.
- Vehicle Maintenance / Condition: Driver is responsible for the equipment he is assigned. Personally maintains a safe and clean vehicle, and ensures any and all required maintenance (scheduled or as needed) is performed timely and completely. Report any issues that he cannot resolve to supervisor promptly.
- Dealer Image: Conducts himself professionally with customers and others he interacts with, to ensure a quality company image is communicated. Projects clean, professional appearance.
- Technical degree in Agricultural or Construction Mechanics, or High School Diploma or GED with 4 years of experience in service operations.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and techniques used in the repair of Ag / Construction / Outdoor power equipment
- Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems.
- Owns mechanic tool set appropriate for the work required.
- Excellent skills in operating vehicles and equipment used in service shops (diagnostic equipment, forklifts, hydraulic lifts, etc.)
- Knowledge of computer systems / software and smartphones for email and internet-based applications such as mapping / GPS software.
- Ability to work occasional extended hours during the week and for weekend coverage.
- Ability to travel to company meetings and training events as needed
- Ability to lift 75 pounds as required without assistance.
- Ability to operate trucks as well as the agricultural, construction, and consumer equipment loading and unloading.
- Ability to operate vehicles in normal weather conditions (snow, rain, etc.)
Acceptable Motor Vehicle status, with current driver’s license, and ability to operate motor vehicle