The Department of Social Work at Fort Hays State University is accepting for a nine-month tenure track Assistant Professor of Social Work. The selected candidate will teach courses in the Social Work programs and will serve as the BSW and MSW Field Director for the Department of Social Work. FHSU and the Department of Social Work are committed to building an inclusive environment and representative of our students and state, so we encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
Nine-month tenure track position to include annual required teaching load equivalent to 24 undergraduate credit hours; providing services to the community, the profession, the department, the college, and the university; and engaging in scholarly activities. The position currently includes the appointment of BSW and MSW Field Director, with a minimum of 75% release time for field responsibilities, as well as additional salary for summer duties.
- An MSW from a CSWE-accredited program and at least two years post-MSW social work practice.
- Commitments to diversity, culturally competent education, and working with rural communities.
- Successful candidates must be able to relocate to Hays, Kansas
- Candidates with robust knowledge of social work practice in the field and the practice of social work in Kansas are strongly preferred.
- A doctorate in Social Work or a related field.
- ABD candidates will also be considered.
- Teaching experience at a four-year institution of higher education.
- Experience teaching in a CSWE accredited program, and online teaching experience, are also preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with CSWE accreditation and ten or more years of post-MSW experience.
- Applicants are advised to obtain licensure as a Social Worker in Kansas (LMSW or LSCSW) to be successful in the tenure process.
Appointment Date: The position begins in August 2024. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Faculty salaries are set at 90% of current College and University Professional Association (CUPA) averages by rank and discipline.
Apply and Send Credentials, applications should include:
- Cover letter, specifying how the applicant’s credentials match with the job description
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Vision of scholarship and service
- Statement that describes your experiences working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds explaining how your experiences have reflected and formed your commitment to diversity, culturally competent education, and working with rural communities.
- Contact information for three professional references.
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Tim Davis, Ph.D., LSCSW
About the Department of Social Work:
The Department of Social Work at Fort Hays State University offers a CSWE-accredited Bachelor of Social Work degree on the main campus, in face-to-face outreach locations, and online. The Department also offers a CSWE-accredited online clinically focused Master of Social Work degree. Our focus on training outstanding social work practitioners creates a rewarding environment that attracts professors who aspire to be outstanding mentors and teachers. Our expert faculty bring diverse practice experiences and active research agendas into the classroom, demonstrating to students how social work knowledge and skills apply to real-world challenges. Students benefit from a robust practice-oriented curriculum, with hands-on experiential learning, preparing them for a long and rewarding career in Social Work.
About the College of Health and Behavioral Sciences:
The College of Health and Behavioral Sciences is home to many challenging and exciting degree programs in the fields of allied health, communication sciences and disorders, health and human performance, nursing, psychology, and social work. With 80 full-time faculty serving nearly 2700 undergraduate and graduate students, the departments offer programs that prepare students for careers in some of the fastest-growing occupations in the United States. Outstanding facilities, comprehensive and demanding curricula, and a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching provide a framework for graduates to excel in their chosen fields. In addition, to discipline-specific coursework, students have numerous opportunities to gain experience and knowledge through research projects, field trips, service-learning activities, teaching apprenticeships, internships, and student exchange. Students develop skills and competencies that prepare them to be practitioners, scientists, health care providers, educators, managers, and policymakers destined for key roles in the health and behavioral sciences.
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.