Assistant Director for Retention, Persistence, and Multicultural Engagement – Focus on Retaining and Recruiting Students with an emphasis on Multicultural Students
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited, four-year college or university
- 1 year of higher education experience
- Bilingual in Spanish/English.
- Progress on or completed master’s degree from an accredited, four-year college or university.
- 3 years of higher education experience.
- Have a general knowledge of academic programs and support services.
- Organized, enthusiastic, pays attention to detail and goal-oriented.
- Relate to diverse student populations and their family members.
Reports to: Director of Retention and Persistence
The Assistant Director for Retention, Persistence, and Multicultural Recruitment will assist the Director of Retention and Persistence and serve as a resource for multicultural recruiting at Fort Hays State University. The position will oversee the day-to-day operations of the university’s retention system (Navigate), serve as the Vice Chair of the Hispanic College Institute, develop, and maintain organization partnerships, and serve or lead appropriate committees. The position will assist with the recruitment of minority and first-generation students and participate in university student clubs and organizations.
Assistant Director Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development and documentation of the Fort Hays State University Retention, Persistence, and Multicultural Recruitment Plan.
- Assist in developing and strategic use of retention and persistence technologies and programs.
- Engage students through FHSU’s Early Tiger Alert (Navigate) system.
- Serve as the Vice-Chair of the Hispanic College Institute.
- Assist with selected first-generation recruitment days.
- Visit targeted high schools and community colleges, and community leaders to foster relationships and build positive rapport.
- Create connections with groups and organizations such as Gear Up, Kansas Kids, Heritage Panel, AVID, JAG-K, TRIO, etc.
- Provide assistance to prospective students and their family members throughout the student life cycle.
- Be knowledgeable about all aspects of the university admissions and registration process for students, including admissions policies and procedures, financial aid, costs, placement exams, course registration procedures, student housing etc.
- Assist with several cultural clubs and organizations on campus.
- Overnight travel and some evening and weekend work is required.
Required Application Documents:
- Cover Letter addressing minimal and preferred qualifications
- A statement (150 words max) explaining how they will help FHSU build an inclusive environment that is representative of our students
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
Priority Deadline: November 12, 2023. Screening of complete applications will begin immediately following the priority deadline and will continue until the position is filled.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Kathleen Cook
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.