Fort Hays State University (FHSU) Student Fiscal Services seeks an Accounting Specialist who will process third-party invoices and payments; assist Special Program Managers with collection of third-party invoices and working with students concerning their third-party awards; administer Perkins Loan consolidations; process Kansas Setoff payments and communicate with Kansas Setoff for reporting; process Drury Loan and other institutional loan programs; monitor and process transactions for university bank accounts; process international payments; process Student Activity credit cards; and provide customer service to students as it relates to third-party payments.
This position is an integral member of the Student Fiscal Services team. Student Fiscal Services uses a team approach to meet deadlines and to provide optimum customer service during season peak periods. Cooperation, flexibility and adaptability are the expectations of all Student Fiscal Services employees. A successful candidate will possess the knowledge of accounting principles and practices and have the ability to communicate professionally with students, parents and campus offices. Must have excellent problem-solving skills, be able to work independently, be well-organized, and detailed orientated.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field or three years of related professional experience in an accounting function.
· Strong written communication skills with an emphasis on grammar and sentence structure
· More than three years of related professional experience in an accounting function
· Experience in secondary or post-secondary education accounting
· Demonstrated ability to use and be proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
· Familiarity with Workday is desirable as well as ability to learn new software
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority given to applications received by October 29, 2021
SALARY: $15.75 per hour
· Provide customer support for students, faculty, and staff through phone, email or in-person, with questions, concerns or problems related to particular account functions, university programs or regulations.
· Review and audit transactions and ensure that all are compliant with university policies, procedures and administrative requirements.
· Work within the university financial system to process, code and post transactions accurately and in a timely manner.
· Process third-party transactions to student accounts in a timely manner, pursuant to federal regulations and procedures.
· Receive and process university monies, including cash, checks, credit cards and electronic fund transactions. Perform all tasks related to recording and auditing transactions.
· Evaluate, process and record third-party refunds as appropriate.
· Run queries and reports from the university financial system. Note inconsistencies and resolve discrepancies whenever possible.
· Reconcile transactions by notifying departments of any known discrepancies and provide balanced records.
· Prepare required invoices; research and process credits, rebill and update records within the financial system.
· Prepare and audit all fiscal reports and statements to ensure compliance with state and other agency regulations.
· Perform audit research and respond to inquiries related to third-party payments.
· Balance accounts and reconcile transactions.
· Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three professional references in one PDF file.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: May Schumacher
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.