Under the supervision of the Shop Foreman, the Mechanic performs semi-skilled and skilled mechanical work on equipment and vehicles assigned to the Ellis County Public Works Department. The employee in this position is responsible for performing the required maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment for the Public Works Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Performs repairs on trucks, tractors, and all related construction equipment and vehicles;
• Checks and services related equipment on a regular basis;
• Diagnoses mechanical problems on various types of equipment;
• Disassembles defective equipment and replaces defective parts;
• Cleans the shop area and stores tools;
• Orders parts for purchase as needed;
• Repairs engines, transmissions, drive lines, and brakes on vehicles;
• Operates all equipment and vehicles and needed;
• Performs field repairs on work location when needed;
• Changes oil and filters;
• Repairs and replaces tires;
• Welds parts, equipment, and machinery when required; and
• Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
High School Diploma or GED and two years of mechanic experience. A Class B commercial driver’s license with tanker endorsement is required.
Ellis County is an EOE.