Join a dynamic team of professionals working together to change the future. The Fort Hays State University’s Department of Advanced Education Programs seeks a Senior Administrative Assistant with the following responsibilities:
- Provides a hospitable, welcoming, and stimulating environment in the AEP Office. Communicates with students, faculty, staff, and administrators daily, sometimes regarding confidential issues. Communicates with people of various backgrounds, nationalities, and temperaments. Screens and transfers calls as necessary and directs inquiries to appropriate people and offices.
- Drafts, proofreads, and edits correspondence, spreadsheets, and other documents for the chair, including departmental correspondence, recruitment materials, and social media posts. Uses Microsoft Office Suite Applications, including Word, Excel and Power Point, as well as Facebook and other social media platforms.
- Assists in the planning, coordination, and scheduling of meetings for the chair and oversees the scheduling of the AEP conference room. Takes meeting minutes and manages follow up reminders/schedules. Uses Outlook and other communication and scheduling tools.
- Organizes and maintains digital files and records, with responsibility for maintaining the security and confidentiality of departmental files.
- Makes travel arrangements and submits reimbursements for the department chair, faculty and other related staff. Maintains inventory and orders office supplies as needed. Helps prepare budgets and maintain budgetary accounts.
- Interviews, selects, coordinates, schedules, supervises, and trains student employees. With the chair, determines priorities for the office and makes recommendations in order to maintain departmental efficiency and cohesion.
- Coordinates book orders for course texts with the FHSU online bookstore.
- Other duties as assigned by the department chair.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or GED equivalency and one year of office experience or one year of post-secondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Two or more years’ office experience
- Welcoming and hospitable personality
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to supervise others
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated skill and ability in use of current technology
- Marketing skills including social media
Priority Deadline: April 14, 2023. Screening of applications will begin immediately following the priority deadline and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: $13.98 per hour
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Dr. Carrie Tholstrup
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.