* Job Description
The Hays Public Library is now taking applications for a part-time Librarian Assistant. The Librarian Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the department head and will help maintain a productive and attractive community environment.
This position involves assisting patrons of all ages. The ability to create a fun, creative, and welcoming atmosphere is essential. Applicant should genuinely enjoy public service, be able to take initiative, complete tasks under minimal direction, and work flexibly with other areas with the library.
Effectively serving and working with patrons is a top priority at the HPL; our staff should reflect this. An ideal candidate is outgoing and friendly, can remain calm under pressure and keep composure in any situation, be able to tactfully help and direct patrons, and can provide excellent customer service.
This is a part-time position between 15-18 hours per week which may include some evenings and weekends. General duties include, but not limited to:
• Assisting patrons in acquiring and using library resources and equipment; including electronic equipment such as computers and computer programs, copy machines, tablets, e-readers, and other technology.
• Facilitating programs and completing varied tasks such as creating displays, shelving books and other materials, and keeping items orderly.
• Can fill in during a librarian’s absence, which may include demonstrating crafts, discussing books, and introducing performers.
• Be familiar with the collection of physical materials and online resources.
• Must be able to push a full cart of books and other materials.