The Department of Psychology at Fort Hays State University (FHSU) is seeking applications for a nine-month, tenure-track, Assistant Professor position. The ideal candidate will be excited to teach a balanced load of undergraduate and graduate classes both on-campus and online. Since the majority of our graduate students are in school and clinical psychology, the ideal candidate will have expertise in and value the importance of applied programs. This position is located on the campus of FHSU in Hays, Kansas.
FHSU and the Department of Psychology are committed to building an environment that is inclusive and representative of our students and state, so we encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
This position will support our undergraduate and graduate programs, with specific responsibilities based on the candidate’s credentials and expertise. Core responsibilities of the position include:
- Teach 12 credit hours (or equivalent) per semester. Courses will be taught in both on-campus and online formats at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Engage in service to the department, university, local community, and discipline at large.
- Maintain an active scholarly agenda that is consistent with the educational mission of FHSU. Research involving students and that results in presentations and publications is expected.
- Advise graduate students and mentor undergraduate students.
- Doctorate degree in Psychology, EdS-School Psychology, or doctorate degree in a closely related field. Applicants who are ABD will be considered.
Preferred Qualifications: The competitive candidate will have:
- Expertise in applied psychology, preferably school psychology (or a closely related field)
- Demonstrated effectiveness in designing and teaching on-campus and online classes
- Record of scholarly activity with demonstrated knowledge of research methods and statistics
- Service to the larger community
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highly detail oriented and organized
- Punctual with student concerns and departmental requests
- Value innovation
Rank: Assistant Professor, Tenure-Track
Appointment Date: Candidate will begin in August 2023
Priority deadline: March 15, 2023. Review of applicants will begin immediately following the priority deadline and will continue until the position is filled.
Required Application Documents
Qualified applicants should submit a single PDF containing:
- Cover letter (that includes experiences relevant to the areas of teaching, scholarship, and service)
- Curriculum vitae or résumé
- Diversity statement. Describe your experiences working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds, and explain how your experiences have reflected your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (200 words max).
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts showing graduate work, and
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Janett Naylor-Tincknell
Professor & Search Committee Chairjmnaylor@fhsu.edu
About the Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology has 12 full-time faculty members and approximately 500 undergraduate majors and graduate students. The Department offers a BA and BS in Psychology; three M.S. degrees with specialization in clinical, experimental, and school psychology; and a school psychology Education Specialist degree (Ed.S.). The department has a tradition of involving undergraduate students in research, and the school psychology program enjoys close working relationships with local school districts. The department is excited to welcome a new faculty member to a collegial and innovative institution, which is always willing to try something new and exciting in the spirit of better educating and preparing our students.
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.