This position is 12 months/year, with 241 working days and 7 paid non-working holidays.
· August – May is 7:30am - 4:30pm, Monday – Friday (8 hour days)
· June – July is 7:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Thursday (10 hour days)
Compensation: $14.79/hour (may be adjusted based upon verification of previous job-like experience within the previous 10 years)
Full District Paid Single Medical and Dental Coverage
- Free Annual Eye Exams with Medical Coverage
- Ancillary and Voluntary offerings include Vision Materials Coverage
- District Paid Basic Life Insurance, Voluntary Life
- Short Term Disability, Accident, Critical Illness, Identify Theft Insurance
- Flexible Spending options for Medical Expenses and Dependent Day Care
- District contribution to Health Saving Account
- District contribution to 403b retirement plan in addition to KPERS - State of Kansas Retirement
- Paid Time Off
- Seasonal Breaks, Weekends, Holidays Off
Purpose: The HR Specialist provides support to ensure accurate new hire processing and human resource related functions. To accomplish this, the Specialist must work closely with other Support Services staff in the Central Business Office and other district employees at all levels.
Responsible to: Human Resources Coordinator
- Must have high school diploma or equivalency.
- Prior human resource experience preferred.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must be able to follow oral and written direction.
- Must be highly computer literate and able to quickly learn and navigate various computer applications.
- Must possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be self-directed and able to work efficiently without supervision.
- Must have the capacity to grasp and adjust to new and changing situations in a dynamic environment.
- Must maintain confidentiality in all aspects of job performance.
- Must be courteous, helpful, people oriented and willing to be inconvenienced in order to get the job done.
- Must have the ability to collaborate and work effectively with members of the school district and community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for onboarding new employees, explaining benefits, and following up with all new employee forms/paperwork.
- Create and update employee profile in HR/Payroll database.
- Utilize Microsoft Office Suite Applications, primarily Word and Excel to process and track information.
- Assist with walk-ins and incoming phone calls regarding human resources questions.
- Process all background checks.
- Benefits administration, enrollment, qualifying changes and terminations.
- Process employment verifications as needed.
- Maintains records and files for all District Employees.
- Compile monthly list of personnel transactions for BOE consideration.
- File and track Workers' Compensation Claims.
- Respond to Unemployment Claims as needed.
- Insurance Committee Participation.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Willing to attend workshops to keep current on new HR regulations.
- Cross-train with other staff in performing duties.
- Provide telephone backup for the office as scheduled.
Special Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to sit at a work station most of an eight hour day.
- Must have manual dexterity for continual computer input.
- Must be able to occasionally move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy materials.
- Occasionally work with numerous interruptions.
- The employee must observe and follow all school district policies at all times.
- The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the district.