An electrician installs, manages, and provides upkeep to motors, generators, transformers, lighting, and other electrical systems at university facilities. Performs skilled electrical maintenance and repair for existing facilities, new construction, and emergency systems. Works to ensure the safety and smooth mechanical operation of the Fort Hays State University campus.
Minimum Qualifications: This position requires a two-year college or technical degree and 3 years of experience working with electrical systems. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, work overhead, climb ladders and scaffolding, unassisted. Valid driver’s license.
- Completion of an approved electrician apprenticeship program
- More than 5 years of experience as electrician
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Read and interpret blueprints
- Fire alarm system experience
- Experience in operating heavy equipment
Appointment Date: July 2023
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Salary: $21.44 per hour
- Install, manage, and maintain campus electrical systems and equipment, including generators, lights, transformers, motors, appliances, wiring, circuits, and other electrical devices.
- Test electrical equipment to identify and fix malfunctions.
- Examine plans, blueprints, requirements, and work orders in order to determine repair requirements and the best arrangement of installation and repair operations
- Maintain and provide upkeep to high voltage systems.
- Complete the construction of new, or upgrade of existing, facilities.
- Ensure that alarm and security systems are functioning properly and conduct repairs when needed.
- Assist with job site and general safety, including general ground support, staging materials, and general site preparation and clean-up.
- Ensure that all equipment stays in line with electrical codes, regulations, and standards.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a resume and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Dan Disney
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.