Qualifications: Must have a high school diploma or equivalency. Classes in elementary education or early childhood from an accredited college or university are preferred, but not required.
Hours: 2.75 hours per day, 3:00 pm-5:45 pm, Monday through Friday, only on days when school is in session
Starting salary: $9.28 per hour
Beginning date: August 2022
Closing date for application: Open until filled
Purpose: The assistant assists the site director in creating a positive learning environment to facilitate the personal, social, and intellectual development of students. To accomplish this, the assistant works closely with staff, administration, and parents of the school district.
Responsible to: Principal
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalency.
- Classes in elementary education or early childhood from an accredited college or university, OR related experience preferred, but not required.
- Must possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be organized, self-directed, and cooperative.
- Must maintain confidentiality in all aspects of job performance.
- Must be courteous, helpful, and willing to be inconvenienced in order to get the job done.
- Must have the ability to communicate and work effectively and cooperatively with members of the school district and community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform duties as assigned by the site director. This will include assisting with planning, supervision, and implementation of the program as directed at the assigned site in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the school program.
- Assist with the set up of the site each day and the return of the site to its arrangement for the next school day.
- Manage the program when the site director is away from the site.
- Carry out established emergency procedures, which are appropriate to the site and consistent with standard procedures, provided by emergency service authorities to insure safety of the children.
- Meet monthly with the entire after school staff for program coordination, evaluation, and planning.
- Assist, as directed, with the planning and coordination of activities that fit the needs and interests and enhance the growth of all children enrolled, including daily nutritious snacks.
- Assist in preparing materials and equipment for each day.
- Meet regularly with the site director and site volunteers to evaluate what has happened and go over upcoming plans.
- Help to preserve the quality condition of all supplies, equipment, and materials.
- Communicate and relate with staff, parents, site director, and principal in a professional manner.
- Facilitate good parent-staff, school-staff, staff-staff, and children-staff relationships.
- Participate in in-service annually.
Special Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to pick up and carry a child if necessary.
- Must be able to move and/or lift furniture, play equipment, etc.
- Must be able to spend time on one’s feet.
- The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the district.
- The employee shall serve as a role model for students in how to conduct themselves as citizens and as responsible, intelligent human beings.
Term of Employment:
- At will.
- Regular attendance is required of all employees subject to allowed leave in accordance with district policy.
- Selected candidate must pass background check.
- Selected candidate must provide a negative TB screening.
- Performance effectiveness evaluated in accordance with provisions of Kansas Statutes and USD 489 Board of Education policy.
- Evaluation will be the responsibility of the supervisor.