Fort Hays State University is looking to hire two full-time Plumbers, one will be under the direct supervision of Blake Weigel, Skilled Trades Supervisor of Building Maintenance and the other under the direct supervision of Dan Disney, Skilled Trades Supervisor of Construction.
Installs plumbing system in remodeling and new construction projects. Along with preventative maintenance, repairs, renovation, construction, and inspections of plumbing and steam systems according to specifications or plumbing codes. Maintain and repair all natural gas services including valves. Respond to emergency plumbing calls.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires a High School Diploma or equivalent, as well as three years of experience as a journeyman level plumber. An Associate’s Degree or vocational school certification may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
- Associate’s degree
- Current plumbing license
- More than 3 years of experience as a journeyman level plumber
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Read and interpret blueprints
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
SALARY: $21.44 per hour
- Installs plumbing systems in renovation or construction projects.
- Interprets and applies mechanical and structural blueprints to plan plumbing repairs and modifications.
- Maintains and repairs plumbing fixtures, faucets, valves, fittings, bath and shower facilities, water heaters and related equipment.
- Cuts and welds metals and other materials necessary to complete plumbing projects.
- Responds to emergency plumbing call such as clogged drains, broken water lines, frozen pipes, gas odors and possible gas leaks, etc.
- Installs, tests and repairs all sizes of backflow prevention devices.
- Diagnoses leaks, stoppages, inadequate supply or faulty operation of water, steam, gas and air lines.
- Inspects suspected problem areas and components related to the building mechanical systems and utilities.
- Plans, installs, repairs, replaces, and maintains piping systems in order to maintain hot and cold water supply systems, sewage and drainage systems in operational condition.
- Rebuilds circulating pumps on the heating and cooling systems.
- Cleans sanitary drainage and sewer systems by opening clogged drains and traps.
- Installation of VAV and Fan powered boxes, along with basic duct work.
- Plans, fabricates, installs and maintains steam systems.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- May work with and mentor students.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a resume, and names and contact information for three professional references.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Dan or Blake directly at:
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.