This position will provide support in the ongoing operations of the Herndon Speech-Language and Hearing Clinic and its associated external clinical sites. The specialist will be responsible for managing client billing and insurance related duties, as well as reviewing clinical site contracts and clinical compliance documents for speech-language pathology students. The individual in this position will work closely with the front office staff, the clinical director, clinical educators, and clinical students to ensure efficient billing processes and successful clinical placements. The successful candidate should possess strong communication skills, and have the ability to work in a fast paced, high activity environment, while maintaining a flexible and positive student and client-centered environment. A successful candidate will have the ability to work proficiently in a team environment, work independently, and be well-organized with attention to detail. The candidate must be able to handle multiple priorities and deadlines with a positive, collaborative attitude.
- Benefits package with Heath, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Accrues 3.39 hours vacation and 2.0 hours sick leave per pay period
- earn up to 140 hours of paid leave per year, (88 vacation, 52 sick leave)
- State paid holidays
- New Year’s Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas
- Tuition Assistance for you and your family after one year of employment
- Employees are eligible for up to 6 credit hours per semester.
- Spouse and dependents are also eligible after a year. Dependent coverage will start at 20% and will increased each year by an additional 20%.
Salary: $15.75 per hour plus benefits
- Manage client billing and insurance related duties such as submitting claims, verifying coverage, benefit reviews, etc. and communicating insurance information to patients effectively
- Manage pre-certification for insurance
- Manage Medicare authorizations
- Manage weekly clinic deposits
- Review and manage affiliation agreements for off-campus clinical sites, including ongoing communication with campus legal services for affiliation agreement approval.
- Manages/monitor background checks, immunizations, compliance issues, etc. pertaining to clinical placement requirements
- Organize/track student mentoring processes
- Collaborate in student retention/recruitment activities
- Collaborate in departmental/clinic reporting
- Collaborate in website and social media management
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or GED equivalency and two years of office experience or two years of post-secondary education.
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Experience with medical billing/claims
- Experience working in an educational or clinic-based setting
- Three plus years working in an office setting
- Excellent written and grammar skills
- Experience providing exceptional customer service
- Demonstrated ability to use and be proficient with QuickBooks and Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
Priority Deadline: March 17, 2023. Review of applications will begin immediately following the priority deadline and continue until the position is filled.
Appointment Date: Start date will be determined after acceptance of an offer and background check clearance.
Required Application Documents: Submit a cover letter detailing qualifications for the position, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references. Please submit all application documents in one PDF document.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Dr. Karmen Porter
About the Department:
The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders is one of six departments within the College of Health and Behavioral Sciences. The CSD department is active in teaching, research, and service through integrated academic and clinical coursework. The department offers a Bachelor of Science degree and a CAA accredited Master of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology. The Herndon Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic is housed within the department and serves the Hays area and surrounding communities. For more information about the department and clinic, please visit www.fhsu.edu/commdis/
About the College:
The College of Health and Behavioral Sciences is home to challenging and exciting degree programs in the fields of allied health
, communication sciences and disorders
, health and human performance
and social work
. With 80 full-time faculty serving nearly 2700 undergraduate and graduate students, the departments offer programs that prepare students for careers in some of the fastest-growing occupations in the United States. Outstanding facilities, comprehensive and demanding curricula, and a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching provide a framework for graduates to excel in their chosen field. In addition to discipline specific coursework, students have numerous opportunities to gain experience and knowledge through research projects, field trips, service-learning activities, teaching apprenticeships, internships, and student exchange. Students develop skills and competencies that prepare them to be practitioners, scientists, health care providers, educators, managers, and policy makers destined for key roles in the health and behavioral sciences.
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.