The Assistant Director of Online Student Success oversees all retention efforts for FHSU Online. This position is charged with implementing retention and transition strategies to help online students meet their educational goals at Fort Hays State University. Strategies include but are not limited to coordinating communications for current online students, overseeing the Transfer Connect program, advising the Virtual Student Senate, administering online student orientation, and chairing the Online Student Care Team. The Assistant Director also works to maintain and increase the number of accolades and recognitions awarded to FHSU Online programs. The successful candidate must have a proven record of collaboration, professionalism, and interpersonal communication, with experience in student services and higher education. This position is located on the campus of Fort Hays State University, in Hays, Kansas.
Reports to: Director of FHSU Online & MCSS
Minimum Qualifications: Qualified candidates should have a master’s degree with two years of related experience in higher education.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Personnel, or related field.
- Experience working with non-traditional student populations.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data reports.
- Supervisory experience.
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient in office technology applications (i.e., Microsoft Office) as demonstrated by the application documents.
- Collaborate with the campus community and departments to develop new retention and transition programming for online students.
- Partner with Retention & Student Success and Teaching Innovation & Learning Technologies offices to further refine an orientation program for online students.
- Manage and participate in current student communication via meetings, calls, emails, texts, and walk-ins using technology when needed (Teams, Zoom, Sakari, etc.).
- Serve as the advisor for the Virtual Student Senate and advocate on their behalf when appropriate.
- Utilize text messaging platforms to send alerts and reminders to online students.
- Chair the Online Student Care Team.
- Collaborate with departments such as the Office of Retention & Student Success, academic departments, Financial Assistance, Registrar’s Office, and Student Fiscal Services to ensure that online students’ needs are met.
- Coordinate National Distance Learning Week and National Transfer Student Week activities and promotion.
- Oversee the Transfer Connect program.
- Submit yearly reports and applications for US News & World Report, USDLA recertification, NC-SARA, and other recognition opportunities for FHSU Online.
- Develop and administer assessments and reports to measure the success of FHSU Online transition and retention initiatives, programming, and events.
- Assist with creating and implementing the yearly strategic plan for FHSU Online.
- Direct and supervise the Transfer Success Coach.
- Provide training and professional development opportunities for direct reports.
- Participate in the FHSU community through committee work, volunteer efforts, event attendance, and other opportunities as appropriate.
Additional duties as assigned.
Appointment Date: August, 2022
Application Deadline: August 21, 2022
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Kayla Hickel
About the Department: As one of the premier online universities in the world, Fort Hays State University’s FHSU Online extends the mission of FHSU by delivering an array of innovative academic and professional programming to Kansas citizens and the world through a flexible and convenient learning environment.