The individual in this position coordinates care for clients and family members dealing with chronic health and/or aging issues. This position requires traveling at least one day per week to meet with clients in their home or other setting.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as advocate and experienced eldercare professional on the Life Care Plan team.
- Provide initial client care assessments to identify parameters of care and capacity. Interface with the family and clients by making visits and communicating frequently. Provide telephone and email support to family and clients, answering questions that arise.
- Educate families on care options.
- Assist families by gathering and sorting important documents necessary for Medicaid and other planning purposes.
- Act as a “client representative” within the firm, and as a “law firm representative” to the client and family. Liaise with attorney to find solutions and answers to questions as needed.
- Counsel family on care issues and concerns. Make recommendations regarding resources and next steps.
- Liaise with doctors, attorneys, CPAs and health care providers on client's behalf. Assist clients with long term care insurance claims.
- Translate the “legal speak” and “long term care speak” to client/family.
- Help families understand Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, legal documents and planning implementation.
- Complete quarterly and annual reviews with clients. Update Abacus and hard copy files accordingly.
- Track, schedule and conduct quality of life assessments.
- Guide families on end of life decisions and transitions.
Community Relations & Marketing
- Represent the firm to facilities and general healthcare communities by visiting regularly.
- Build and nurture positive relationships with management and staff for purposes of mutual referrals.
- Stay abreast of and maintain knowledge about care options in the communities the firm serves. Make regular visits to staff of professional organizations.
- Participate in professional meetings and marketing events as needed.
- Present law firm services to professionals and potential clients. Contribute information and articles to firm newsletter and website.
- Give presentations to the public various times per year regarding elder care issues.
- Work closely with Life Care Planning Law Firms Association (LCPLFA).
- Integrate processes of LCPLFA at the law firm.
- Represent the firm on boards and committees as appropriate.
- Participate in local and national organizations.
- Support development of firm presentations and materials to national and local organizations, as well as client presentations.
- Actively participate in team and firm meetings; make recommendations for issues encountered.
- Maintain Facts tab in Abacus for assigned files; ensure updated quarterly.
- Initiate letter, checklist and sympathy card when client passes away.
- Track and accurately record time worked on each file.
Desired Qualifications, Skills, Abilities and Characteristics
- Social Work or Nursing Degree, with emphasis in Geriatrics preferred, and/or Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two (2) years professional geriatric experience with care or case management experience helpful. Proficient in MS Windows and Office. Must have a valid driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of firm and client information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain ethical code of conduct and high level of client service
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to use office equipment including a computer, copier, printer and fax machine
- Ability to work well with others, particularly relating to and working with the elderly, their families and caregivers using tact, diplomacy and empathy.
Working Conditions Normal office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional overtime may be required. Day travel will be required at least one day per week. Some bending required; sits for extended periods.
Social workers and RN's are encouraged to apply!!!