Position Description: The Administrative Specialist reports to the Director of Early College Programs (Kansas Academy of Mathematics & Science (KAMS) and Academy of Mathematics & Science (AMS)) at Fort Hays State University. This role assists with administrative and secretarial duties within the KAMS/AMS office, provides support for and works collaboratively with KAMS/AMS office staff, and requires professional interaction with both internal and external clients. A successful candidate must have the ability to work independently, possess excellent interpersonal skills, and be highly detailed and organized. This is an on-campus position located on the Fort Hays State University campus in Hays, Kansas.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or GED equivalency and two years of office experience or two years of post-secondary education.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher
· More than two years of office experience
· Experience in data management
· Experience with scheduling or meeting management
· Highly proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Experience related to expense reimbursement and employee travel
· Strong understanding and ability to maintain student confidentiality
Application Deadline: October 15, 2021
Salary: 15.06 per hour
· Responsible for customer service operations for the KAMS/AMS office, including assisting walk-in visitors and fielding phone calls from the main office phone line.
· Coordinate office coverage during campus business hours.
· Process various documents for domestic and international students.
· Communicate with students, parents/guardians of students, educational partners, and various support services and departments across campus.
· Create and maintain databases of student information.
· Assist in the planning and scheduling of meetings for staff members and record minutes for office staff meetings.
· Process travel and transportation documentation for office staff members.
· Arrange and/or provide transportation for students, as needed (airport, medical appointments, etc.)
· Create, update, and distribute a bi-weekly program newsletter.
· Assist with special KAMS/AMS events throughout the year.
· Other duties as assigned by KAMS/AMS staff members.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Will Burns, Director of Early College Programs (KAMS/AMS)
About Fort Hays State University
Founded in 1902, FHSU is a leading, forward-thinking university of the Midwest, with student enrollment numbers in the range of 4,000 on campus, 7,000 online, and 4,000 in our unique China partnership program. Over 400 faculty and more than 500 professional and staff support and guide degree and certificate programs for the associate’s, bachelor's, and master’s programs, and for the Doctorate of Nursing Practice, representing 31 departments within these academic divisions:
· College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
· W.R. and Yvonne Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
· College of Education
· College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
· Peter Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
· Graduate School
Fort Hays State University provides exceptional opportunities for students from Kansas, the region, and the world, and the University attracts goal-oriented students who want premier learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom combined with one-to-one attention and support. FHSU students graduate with the knowledge, professional skills, and confidence to have a competitive edge in their chosen careers. Upon graduation, 95% of FHSU students find a job or placement in graduate school.
Community of Hays
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.