School Nurse requires a valid BSN license.
School nurses strengthen and facilitate learning for children by improving and protecting their health status through the identification and elimination or modification of health-related barriers to the educational process.
The functions of the school nurse in USD 489 include, but are not limited to the following:
- Implementation of the health policies established by the USD 489 Board of
Education and the State of Kansas.
- Planning and implementation of services that promote and protect optimal
health and wellness.
- Participation in health education, counseling, and screening to assist students,
staff, and the school community in assuming greater responsibility for their own health.
- Promoting a safe environment for the protection of students and staff.
- Providing health resources for students, families, and staff.
Qualifications for a school nurse in USD 489 are:
- A Registered Nurse in Kansas.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing.
- A minimum of at least two year’s nursing experience.