Ongoing recruitment for full-time positions on annual international assignment for the Fort Hays State University (FHSU) ) stationed at Zhengzhou Sias University
in Henan Province, China or at Shenyang Normal University
in Liaoning Province, China, with opportunity for annual renewal.
Each faculty position in China is an annual assignment as a non-tenure-track faculty, subject to annual review, with the possibility of continuation.
- A Master’s degree with 18 or more graduate credit hours in management, economics, finance, marketing, information systems, or other related areas from a regionally accredited university. Master’s degree holders should have significant and substantial professional business experience. Selected candidates should meet HLC’s minimum requirements to be qualified as an academic professional.
- Must be able to provide proof of a minimum of 24 months full-time teaching experience.
- Successful candidates must be eligible to legally work in the United States and also be able to apply for and receive a Z visa, residence permit, and work permit in China.
- Candidates must meet employment regulations to work legally in China with a Chinese work visa, which has age restrictions (currently, no work visas are being issued to foreigners over the age of 60 except in extraordinary circumstances), background check restrictions (applicants with DUI/DWI (including a diversion/ dismissal) or other such infractions are not being issued a work permit), various health history requirements, and education authentication (currently, no work visas are being issued to foreigner applicants unable to provide authentications and proof of educational backgrounds).
FHSU will outline these processes, as well as assist in acquiring and paying for these documents.
- An earned doctoral degree in related fields is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with teaching ESL/EFL students, international students, especially Chinese students; prior experience working abroad
- Strong teaching, communication, and cross-cultural skills
- Practiced use of Learning Management Systems (Blackboard preferred)
RANK: Instructor (master’s degree) or Assistant Professor (doctoral).
APPOINTMENT DATE: September, 2022 for the spring semester; June, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: This posting will be used to develop a pool of qualified faculty for our international positions located in China. This is an ongoing recruitment and when you apply, you are submitting your application documents to that applicant pool. When the need arises to hire a new faculty member, applicants with complete applications already in the pool will have priority status for interviews.
SALARY: Salaries and benefits are competitive for qualified applicants.
Benefits Provided by Fort Hays State University:
- Transportation to China to begin the semester.
- A $2000 stipend for return travel on the faculty member’s own schedule at the end of the academic year.
- Health, retirement, and associated benefits package.
- A $200 one-time payment for costs associated with obtaining work permits. Competitive benefit package.
Additional Benefits Provided by Zhengzhou Sias International University:
- Free housing in the faculty apartment complex located on the Sias campus. Furniture and air conditioning included. Stipend for utilities. Bathrooms include Western-style toilets.
- Spouses and children are permitted to live with FHSU faculty members stationed at Sias.
- Meals are available for purchase in the faculty dining hall and include both Western and Chinese selections. Food service is available three meals a day, seven days a week during the academic semesters.
- Holidays as stipulated by laws of China, as well as most typical Western holidays.
- Gym, indoor pool, spa, and other similar fitness facilities available for a small membership fee.
- Sias-sponsored cultural and historic experiences in China.
- Exposure to a diverse international community of faculty, students, and visitors.
These benefits are subject to change by Sias but have been in place for many years.
Additional Benefits Provided by Shenyang Normal University:
- Free housing on the SNU campus. Furnishings include a kitchen, flat-screen TV, and air conditioning. Some utilities are covered; a stipend is provided for Internet access.
- Bathrooms include Western-style toilets and a washing machine.
- Spouses and children are allowed to live with FHSU faculty members stationed at SNU.
- Holidays as stipulated by the laws of China.
- Gym, indoor pool, spa, and other similar fitness facilities available for a small fee.
- Exposure to a diverse international community of faculty, students, and visitors.
These benefits are subject to change by SNU but have been in place for many years.
FHSU offers a wide array of management, marketing, economics, and finance related courses in our International Program. During the academic years 2022-2023
ECON 644 International Economics
FIN 641 Financial Markets and Institutions
FIN 645 International Finance
We may add or remove courses or programs from time to time and we expect our faculty members to be flexible enough to adapt to such changes. All instruction, course deliverables, and other work are conducted in English. If need arises, faculty will be required to teach in other campus locations and modalities. Likewise, additional service responsibilities may be added to ensure workloads of eight courses per year.
The successful candidates will exhibit a scholarly interest and a commitment to remain active in a scholarly manner throughout their career. The RCOBE recognizes scholarship of discovery, integration, application, and pedagogy. Joint publications are encouraged – particularly in collaboration with partner school faculty and students.
Service to the University, College, Departments, RCOBE international program, the region, and/or profession is expected as well. Typical service tasks include student advising, participating in co/extra-curricular activities, mentoring junior faculty, among others.
After training in Hays, the faculty member will teach classes face-to-face for FHSU in Shenyang, China or in Xinzheng, China. The faculty member will live on campus among other FHSU international faculty. All courses will be delivered in English.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted as a single PDF file.
If you have questions regarding these positions, please contact:
Dr. Robert Lloyd, Assistant Professor & International Program Coordinator
ABOUT THE COLLEGE:
Mission: The Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship at Fort Hays State University offers highly engaging educational experiences, preparing and supporting our students and alumni for professional success in a dynamic, global environment. Our focus is on instructional engagement. Faculty add value to student instruction and the community through scholarly activity and ongoing professional engagement. The College provides service that benefits the university, our disciplines, and the greater community. (Adopted by COBE Faculty on May 4, 2016).
The college consists of four large and growing departments: Applied Business Studies; Economics, Finance, and Accounting; Informatics; and Management and consists of more than 50 full-time faculty supported by key staff. In addition to a wide range of undergraduate programs, it has a significant sized Master of Business Administration program and also offers Master of Professional Studies degrees in Human Resource Management and varying areas of Informatics. On-campus students majoring in these academic areas number approximately 800 and domestic distance learning students number 1370. The COBE is housed in the historic, but recently remodeled McCartney Hall and newly constructed Hammond Hall. In addition to on-campus offerings, the college offers several undergraduate and graduate degrees on-line. It also participates in joint degrees with two partners universities in China. Among the college’s many unique attributes is the Dane G. Hansen Entrepreneurship Scholarship Hall which opened with the 2016-2017 academic year. Website: http://www.fhsu.edu/rcob/
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.