The Ellis County Health Department is hiring a full-time Administrative Assistant. Assist the Health Department with efficient office operations allowing for the highest standard of public health services to be delivered to the community!
Job Summary: Under general supervision, the Administrative Assistant performs various administrative duties involving specialized bookkeeping, secretarial, and clerical functions. The employee in this position is responsible for specific phases of office operations and performs limited administrative duties. In addition, the person is expected to acquire independence in responding to citizen inquires providing accurate information or referrals regarding department related issues and department programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Answers the telephone and direct calls to appropriate personnel;
- Greets and assists the public;
- Assists departments and employees regarding necessary appointment forms and various questions;
- Updates and maintains department records;
- Performs data management role for assigned department;
- Checks, verifies, and writes reports;
- Collects and accounts for daily department fees and reimbursements, as required;
- Deals with public inquiries on a daily basis and responds with information and directions as required;
- Helps prepare bulk mailings for department;
- Keeps track of billings and receives payment from the public and is responsible for all fees collected through the office;
- Maintains a working knowledge of current office technology, department programs, and updates from state/federal programs;
- Maintains and updates department’s website;
- Assists with inventory of office as well as purchasing of supplies and receipt control;
- Manages and sorts office correspondence including telephone, mail, fax, and computer files;
- Assists with timecards and payroll;
- Prepares and verifies expense vouchers for department; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
High School Diploma or GED required and one year of experience in bookkeeping, secretarial, or office administrative position are required.
Availability to work Monday-Thursday: 7 am- 5 pm & Friday: 7 am- 11 am
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment.
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-survivor benefits, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental offerings. This position is Non Exempt, Pay Grade 107, Starting Wage Step 1 $16.05/hour.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
Ellis County works to foster diversity and looks forward to applications from all qualified applicants. Ellis County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information. This position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply: View the expanded job description and submit your Ellis County application online at https://www.ellisco.net/jobs.aspx. Ellis County paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County, KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601.