Work involves specialized and/or diverse administrative responsibilities and support to the faculty and students of the Department of Agriculture. Duties include management of the office, administration of department-related communications, record management, and coordination and management of student workers. A successful candidate must have the ability to work independently, possess excellent interpersonal skills, and be highly detailed and organized.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin on November 5 and continue until the position is filled.
Salary: $14.50 per hour, plus benefits
Minimum Requirements: High-school diploma or GED equivalency and two years of office experience or two years of post-secondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage budgets and associated department records and files;
- Evidence of effective management of social media and webpages;
- A history of successful supervision and/or mentoring of student workers;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite programs (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
Position Overview: Work involves specialized and/or diverse administrative responsibilities and support to the faculty and students of the Department of Agriculture. Duties include management of the office, administration of department-related communications, record management, and coordination and management of student workers. A successful candidate must have the ability to work independently, possess excellent interpersonal skills, and be highly detailed and organized.
FHSU and the Department of Agriculture are committed to building an inclusive and representative environment for our students and state. We encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Responsibilities may include:
- Oversee customer-service operations, including walk-in, phone, and email communications
- Supervise and provide on-going training for student employees
- Maintain the budget spreadsheets for the department accounts
- Monitor expenditures and reconcile monthly budget reports for the department accounts
- Process travel and purchasing requests
- Understand and implement university and state procedures and regulations
- Schedule department visits for potential students
- Provide administrative support to student organizations and the rodeo team
- Manage department social media accounts
- Perform other office management functions as needed or assigned by the Department Chair
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references.
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Sophie Ano, Chair, Department of Agriculture
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.