Position Description: The Custodian reports to the Custodial Supervisor of the Memorial Union and assists in providing custodial services and room set up services. This position will provide high customer service standards in the Memorial Union and Fischli-Wills Center for Student Success, a combined facility that serves over 530,000 patrons per year and over 5,000 reservations annually. This position primarily works Monday through Friday 4:30am to 1:00pm; however, schedule may vary due to breaks or staffing needs.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or GED equivalency.
· 1-2 years custodial experience
· Experience operating custodial equipment (high speed floor buffer, carpet extractor, floor auto scrubber)
· Demonstrated customer service skills
· Experience working in university or education setting
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Basic computer skills
Appointment Date: Start date will be determined after acceptance of an offer and background check clearance.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Salary: $12.02 per hour, plus $.30 shift differential
· Work with the Custodial Supervisor to establish daily work schedule priorities, maintain facility standards, and achieve a high level of customer service
· Responsible for general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, and furniture
· Operate and maintain power equipment and hand tools: floor auto scrubbers, carpet extractors, high pressure washers, high speed floor buffer and vacuums
· Dust and clean facilities and furnishings
· Sweep and mop floors
· Vacuum and shampoo carpets
· Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors
· Empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers
· Clean and sanitize restrooms using established practices and procedures and refill restroom dispensers
· Wash interior and exterior windows
· Assist with setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, and events
· Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and outside grounds
· Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs.
· Attend Union staff meetings and division events
· Perform other duties as assigned
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a resume with the names and contact information for three professional references.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Edie McCracken
Phone: (785) 628-5305
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.