Science Teacher - Hays Middle School USD 489
2023-2024 school year
Apply Online at: https://www.applitrack.com/haysusd489/onlineapp/
- Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' skills and competence in one or more fields of science, including general science
- Teaches knowledge and skills in one or more fields of science in accordance with district curriculum for 7th or 8th grade science.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials for subject area, and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of science to everyday existence, including scientific research projects, demonstrations, experiments, and laboratory activities appropriate for middle school level students.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Maintains familiarity with district and Kansas State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of a wide range of science subject areas suitable for middle school
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- State Certification as a Science Teacher or as required for position.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment
Start Date: August 2023
Salary and Benefits: Our District’s Certified Salary Schedule has 12 categories, with salaries ranging from $42,700 to $64,350.
· Full District Paid Single Medical and Dental Coverage
· Free Annual Eye Exams with Medical Coverage
· Ancillary and Voluntary offerings include Vision Materials Coverage
· District Paid Basic Life Insurance, Voluntary Life
· Short Term Disability, Accident, Critical Illness, Identify Theft Insurance
· Flexible Spending options for Medical Expenses and Dependent Day Care
· District contribution to Health Saving Account
· District contribution to 403b retirement plan in addition to KPERS - State of Kansas Retirement
· Tuition Assistance partnership with FHSU
· Paid Time Off
· Seasonal Breaks, Weekends, Holidays Off
Apply Online At: https://www.applitrack.com/haysusd489/onlineapp/