Environmental Services Assistant Director Job Summary:
Under the supervision of the Environmental Services Director, the Environmental Services Assistant Director is a highly technical and skilled position responsible for the development and implementation of all environmental and zoning programs. The employee in this position is responsible for multiple program areas including the development, implementation and enforcement of local environmental codes and regulations relating to water, wastewater disposal and issues relating to local environmental concerns. This employee is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of zoning within the county’s jurisdiction and serves as the planning and zoning administrator. The employee will also oversee the flood plain program of the county. This employee will serve as the director for the regional Household Hazardous Waste program. This employee is responsible for supervising the handling of solid waste collected and delivered within Ellis County. Work involves directing skilled and semi- skilled laborers, equipment operators, and clerks in solid waste management activities. The employee in this position works independently in executing daily operation of disposal and transfer of solid waste.
Essential Job Functions:
- Attends department related zoning meetings;
- Collects samples, performs water analysis, prepares analysis reports and maintains appropriate records;
- Conducts inspections and site evaluations for placement of septic systems – plus follow up to ensure compliance with Ellis County rules and regulations;
- Develops, directs and evaluates all educational and regulatory programs on environmental control;
- Enforces these regulations by field checks, especially of the finished floor elevations of buildings with a regulatory elevation;
- Follows FEMA/NFIP Floodplain Standards;
- Holds annual meeting to update each of the regional counties and load/unload the mobile trailer for each of the regional counties;
- Maintains a library of community flood maps, studies, documents and maintains records of all floodplain development permits issued or denied;
- Maintains appropriate records as needed by local, state and federal agencies;
- Maintains training records for each of the counties participating in the regional HHW program;
- Provides consultation, information and service as resource/contact person regarding environmental programs;
- Responds to environmental violation complaints;
- Reviews, researches and evaluates permit applications and plans;
- Sorts waste for final disposal from Ellis County HHW and the other counties;
- Supervises, evaluates and trains all personnel;
- Operates/performs light maintenance on various heavy equipment; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science, public health or a related field is preferred. Experience in the Environmental/Solid Waste Management Field can be substituted for a degree.
- Possess and maintain a valid Kansas driver’s license.
- Regular attendance is required. Monday - Thursday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and Friday 7:30 am to 11:30 am.
- Completion of 24-hour Household Hazardous Waste certification is required within 8 months of hire.
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment. Careers in local government allow you to impact your community in a BIG way!
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-life insurance, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental plan offerings.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
How to Apply: Ellis County is an EOE. View the expanded job description and submit your Ellis County application online. Ellis County Paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601