The Multimedia Specialist reports directly to the Art Director to deliver multimedia solutions including unique and engaging photos, motion graphics, and long- and short-format videos for a variety of platforms. You will be responsible for ensuring that our media looks professional and accurately represents the Fort Hays State University brand. You will also be the production lead for video and photo content for social media, digital advertising, and other promotional materials. This position will operate and oversee the University Marketing studio and manage the university’s digital asset management system. This role will also collaborate in the design and production of storyboards and scripts for media production. Must have strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines. The candidate must also possess strong verbal and written skills and good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness. Effective when working independently and with a team. This position is an on-campus position located on the campus of Fort Hays State University in Hays, KS.
Minimum Qualifications: This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Informatics or related field of study, or must be within a year of graduating with a bachelor’s degree in one of these or related fields. Must be able to lift and carry equipment up to 50 lbs. Must have at least one year of related experience with multimedia, video, and photography.
- At least two years digital multimedia production/editing experience.
- At least two years of photography experience
- Proficient in Adobe Premiere Pro
- Proficient in Adobe After Effects
- Experience with online video applications
- Experience with professional video equipment
- Experience with lighting equipment and lighting techniques
- Experience with audio production
- Experience with DSLR video and photography
- Experience with storyboarding and design
- Experience with digital asset management systems
Appointment Date: The start date will be determined after acceptance of an offer and successful completion of a background check.
Application Deadline: Priority deadline September 24, 2023. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Create and deliver authentic and on-brand multimedia recruitment content.
- Will work with the University Marketing team to create cohesive brand messaging and script writing.
- Conceptualize, collaborate, develop, design, script, produce, edit, and direct media projects that align with university’s marketing and recruitment plan.
- Promote the FHSU brand by creating, editing, and posting engaging video content on multiple platforms, including the University website, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Ensuring proper tagging and captioning of all video and photo content.
- Optimize videos for SEO.
- Work with FHSU stakeholders to plan, shoot, light, record, edit, and produce materials for recruitment and institutional/program marketing as required by concept and script.
- Collaborate with University Marketing team during all phases of production to ensure content is aligned with organizational priorities.
- Serve as the principal cinematographer, photographer, and director for media productions for recruitment assets.
- Will work creatively and cooperatively in a team setting as well as comfortably and efficiently on their own.
- Collaborate with and train student employees who are producing multimedia content or photography.
- Manage and train on-set volunteers, and freelance multimedia workers.
- Ensure consistent quality in university-wide multimedia.
- Update and maintain the university’s digital asset management system.
- Stay up-to-date and evaluate emerging technologies, trends, design tools, and applications. Coordinate the implementation of new applications, technologies, and tools as needed. This includes regularly researching best practices, trends, and audience preferences regarding multimedia.
- Serve as the principal photographer for the University Marketing and edit photos as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, digital portfolio, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Scott Gross
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.