The Ellis County Sheriff's Office is hiring a full-time Jailer. Job Summary: Under the general supervision of the Jail Lieutenant and/or Jail Sergeant, the Jailer takes care of the needs of the inmates in the jail. The Jailer records all activities of the inmates in the jail. The employee in this position is responsible for recording all requests of inmates, medical problems, medications, etc. It is the responsibility of this employee to ensure that inmates are maintained in a humane manner and ensure that the inmates are granted their constitutional rights.
Essential Job Functions:
- Books and processes inmates;
- Records all activities of inmates, including phone calls and medical needs;
- Checks prisoners on an hourly basis;
- Verifies warrants as requested;
- Dispenses commissary needs;
- Restrains inmates who do not follow instructions;
- Meets the public at the law enforcement center and supervises visiting hours;
- Assists with preparation and serving of meals to prisoners;
- Serves as transportation and escorts inmates to scheduled appointments;
- Monitors medical status of prisoners;
- Dispenses medication and notifies physician of medical needs;
- Maintains the jail in good clean order; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
High School Diploma or GED required. Certification in first aid treatment and CPR required. Must possess a valid Kansas driver's license.
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment. Careers in local government allow you to impact your community in a BIG way!
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-life insurance, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental plan offerings.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
How to Apply: Ellis County is an EOE. View the expanded job description and submit your Ellis County application online. Ellis County paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County, KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601.