Want to make an impact at Fort Hays State University? If you like variety, fast paced work, helping others, and playing a key role in helping to influence and exemplify how technology is used at FHSU, then read on. You’ll be part of a team that deploys and supports the technology that FHSU faculty and staff need to be successful and competitive. You’ll have the opportunity to work with virtually all employees and in almost every aspect of the inner workings of Fort Hays State University. It’s a challenging but extremely rewarding job. We need a hard-working individual that has great customer relation skills and can troubleshoot complex technology related issues. Our users rely on us, and we take pride in getting them the best technology so they can excel at their jobs.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits, regular hours, and in a town that is just the right size. As part of our Tier 2 support group, this Desktop Support Specialist position reports to the Technology Support Manager and helps to support about 2500 computers and peripherals campus wide as well as in a few satellite offices.
· Provide friendly, professional, and timely support of issues via email, phone, tickets, remote, and desk-side service.
· Assist with the deployment of machines to faculty, staff, and labs.
· Occasionally serve as backup to Tier 1 agents when needing additional support.
· Maintain inventory accountability for University owned computers.
· Appropriately handle outgoing equipment while securing sensitive data on devices.
· Create and maintain department documentation of processes, support procedures, instructions, and checklists.
· Assist with the evaluation and purchasing hardware for the University.
· Collaborate with Server and Network system administrators to develop the best working environment for our end users.
· Assist end-users with necessary aspects of computer technology needs so they can best serve the University.
· Associate’s degree in related field.
· Two years working in a computer support field.
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited university.
· Strong troubleshooting skills dealing with Windows OS, Mac OS, MS Office, and network related issues.
· Experience with Windows AD, Group Policies, basic Windows scripting.
· Patch management basics for Windows and Mac.
· In-depth knowledge of OS internals, file system structures, and machine architectures.
· Familiar with TCP/IP, switches, firewalls, routers, and their basic operations.
· General knowledge of IT security issues, including Anti-Virus programs, Phishing attacks, and best practices.
· Working knowledge of network file shares, mapped drives, and DFS.
· Image and software deployment for Windows and Mac computers.
· Ability to manage multiple assignments, priorities, and projects.
· Excellent customer relation skills in working with technical and non-technical users.
· Strong communication skills with the ability to explain technical procedures verbally or in writing.
· Effectively collaborate with team members at all levels.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. All required application documents should be submitted in PDF format.
30 days with extension(s) at our discretion.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact: