The Fiscal and Business Specialist performs fiscal and budget support work to assist with the administration of financial and business transactions within the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science (KAMS) department. Performs business process transactions, budget monitoring, regular reporting, and account reconciliation tasks appropriate to the unit. Reconciles, adjusts, and monitors fiscal transactions to control the budget and report accurate accounting transactions to the appropriate central accounting function. Managing business operations such as event planning, grant writing and coordination, and partner communications.
Minimum Qualifications: This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management, or a related field. Minimum of two years accounting or financial experience.
- Experience working in a university or high school setting
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office as evidenced by application materials
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Proven customer service skills
- Experience with Workday
- Experience in or interest in grant writing
- Excellent written communication skills
- Record and collect data regarding financial activity to judge the soundness of financial policies of the department. Maintain working knowledge of financial regulations, accounting best practices, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Prepare monthly budget reports. Balance university and foundation accounts monthly.
- Manage records for present projects, programs, and operations.
- Analyze and report costs and expenditures. Monitor and track department accounts and notify appropriate persons of potential budget deficits before occurrence. Initiate and prepare non-payroll expenditure transfers to correct any discrepancies and allow for appropriate funds.
- Serve as a project leader on projects related to budgeting, financial reporting, or other financial activities to assist the department.
- Post, balance, and record cash, checks, and other transactions. Collect and deposit revenue funds and handle any discrepancies.
- Compile data and run reports related to the budget and expenditures.
- Handle purchasing functions, approve invoices for payment, and reconcile purchasing transactions; resolve vendor billing problems.
- Purchase and manage laptops and books for student use.
- Supervise student workers in their daily activities. Train according to proper procedure. Provide evaluations and feedback.
- Write grants to support KAMS.
- Transport students to appointments or airport when needed.
- Use Smartsheets to manage KAMS/AMS events and activities such as Orientation, Pre-View Days, Completion Ceremony, summer camps. Prepare budgets, secure rooms, order supplies, oversee each day of the event.
- Respond to questions and concerns through email, phone, or in-person interactions.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Early College Programs.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references.
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Sherri Matlock – Director of Early College Programs (KAMS/AMS)
Email: [email protected]
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.