We are looking for a Heavy Equipment Operator to join our team at Ellis County. Serving our communities, collaborating with our teammates, ongoing training and support, and generous benefits are just a few of the many reasons we love working for Ellis County!
Under the general supervision of the Road Foreman or Environmental Services Assistant Director, the Heavy Equipment Operator performs skilled work in operating different types of construction and maintenance equipment. The employee in this position operates a variety of heavy equipment requiring a great degree of skill in performing a variety of job assignments. This employee performs tasks related to road and bridge maintenance and construction and landfill maintenance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operates heavy equipment such as a motor grader, roller, blacktop machine, chip spreader, compactor, and other heavy equipment;
- Breaks up asphalt on roads needing repair or replacement;
- Cuts, lays, and covers pipe;
- Digs, compacts, and covers trenches for disposal of refuse;
- Performs finished grading operations;
- Spreads gravel, sand, rock, and asphalt;
- Patches road and bridge surfaces;
- Performs bridge maintenance work such as mowing road ditches, installing and maintaining culverts, and filling washouts;
- Rebuilds roads and bridges;
- Sets up and picks up construction cones and signs;
- Performs light maintenance and servicing of work in connection with the operations of related equipment;
- Hauls rock, asphalt, and sand; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of road and bridge or landfill materials, equipment, and equipment maintenance.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations pertaining to the safe and efficient operations of related equipment.
- Knowledge of techniques and materials used in road and bridge construction and repair or landfill operations and maintenance.
- Ability to operate a motor grader, tractor and roller, loader, dozer, crane, backhoe, and other heavy and light construction and road maintenance equipment.
High School Diploma or GED preferred and one year of road and bridge maintenance and heavy equipment operator experience. A Class B commercial driver’s license with tanker endorsement is required.
Physical Requirements: Work is primarily heavy and may require the ability to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Also requires the ability to crouch, grasp, pull, push, reach, stand, walk, stoop, talk, see, walk, and make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive reasoning. Working Conditions: Work is performed in physical effort and manual labor. Adverse weather conditions and working with heavy equipment are factors in this position.
Benefits: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Vision Plan, Holiday Pay, Life Insurance, Longevity Bonus, Retirement, Deferred Compensation Plan, Paid Time Off, AFLAC offerings. Compensation: Pay Grade 101, Step 1 - $16.05. FLSA Status - Non-Exempt.
Ellis County works to foster diversity and looks forward to applications from all qualified applicants. Ellis County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. This position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to apply. Submit your Ellis County application online using the application link: https://www.ellisco.net/Jobs.aspx
Ellis County Paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601