Fantastic opportunity for a Line Technician Apprentice or Journey in Colby, KS! Develop and grow your skills in the utility industry!
Join Sunflower Electric Power Corporation, a well-established generation and transmission utility serving central and western Kansas. We are looking for an individual with a strong work ethic and desire to learn more about and grow in the utility industry! This apprentice opening in Colby, KS will provide the opportunity for you to assist with inspection and repairs of transmission lines and substation sites under the direct supervision of a journey or higher-level Line Technician. If you are an experienced Journey Line Technician, you will inspect, maintain, and/or repair or replace equipment and/or associated transmission property to ensure locations are safe for authorized staff.
- Gain experience and training in an electric transmission utility to further your career.
- Interact with a variety of individuals ranging from Members to landowners.
- Receive outstanding benefits including a company funded pension and low health insurance premiums.
- Provide support to provide reliable, affordable energy to people in central and western Kansas.
- High School Diploma.
- Completion of a recognized Line Technician Program is strongly preferred.
- Experience with electric distribution lines, transmission lines, or substation construction is strongly preferred.
- Successful completion of the Construction and Skilled Trades Selection System (CAST) Test.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Class A Manual Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within six months of employment.
- A Journey Line Technician has additional qualifications. Please refer to the responsibility outline.
Refer to the Responsibility Outline and Physical and Mental Requirements for a complete list of qualifications:
We administer selection tests for a variety of positions. The required tests have been developed by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a trade association of investor-owned electric utility companies. We strongly encourage candidates to review all the information, including the sample test brochures, and to use the available practice tests before taking the actual tests, available here:
The username and password are both sunflower. Practice tests provide sample questions and detailed discussions of the correct answers. It's important to take the practice test as you would the actual one, with similar intensity and concentration. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.
Note: EEI does not allow access to the actual tests. Testing sessions are held at various locations.
Sunflower Electric Power Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/vets.