The Administrative Specialist position provides high level office support for the Office of Administration and Finance and the Purchasing Office. Responsible for a wide range of administrative duties including customer service inquiries; preparing contracts, reports, and spreadsheets; handling information requests; scheduling of meetings; making travel arrangements; and maintaining calendars and schedules. Duties include providing administrative support while maintaining strict confidentiality when working with sensitive information. A successful candidate must have the ability to work independently, be highly detailed, and organized.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or GED equivalency and two years of office experience or two years of post-secondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two plus years of office experience
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office as evidenced by application materials
- Experience working in a university setting
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills
- Experience in the area of purchasing
- Supervisory experience
Salary: $15.06 per hour
- Weekends OFF
- Set schedule Monday through Friday
- KBOR 403B retirement plan
- Insurance includes medical, dental, vision and prescription - day one coverage
- Accrues 6.77 hours vacation and 3.7 hours sick leave per pay period
- earn up to 272 hours of paid leave per year, (176 vacation, 96 sick leave)
- State paid holidays
- New Year’s Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas
- Tuition Assistance - day one eligibility
- Employee's are eligible for up to 6 free credit hours per semester.
- Spouse and dependents are also eligible
Appointment Date: The start date will be determined after acceptance of an offer and successful completion of a background check.
Application Deadline: Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Purchasing responsibilities (30%):
- Aid with purchasing forms, contracts, policies, and bids as needed by the Purchasing Director.
- Perform supplier searches on Vendor Registry for products or services.
- Contact suppliers and vendors for pricing, availability, and update supplier information in Workflow.
- Provide status updates of purchases to other departments.
- Perform procurement functions such as initial agreement review, complete, and send purchase orders and agreements to suppliers and vendors.
- Provide training to new administrative staff on purchasing procedures.
- Oversee FHSU specific contracts such as campus cable, copier, elevator contracts to process payments, keep track of pertinent information as required, process renewals, and contact suppliers for updates and changes.
Student Organization responsibilities (25%):
- Assist student organizations with Activity Accounts and Student Government Association funding.
- Provide training and documentation on processes and procedures to purchase materials and supplies from accounts through Workday. This includes information on payments with credit card checkout, supplier invoices, and processes to check balances and reconcile accounts.
- Answer questions or provide direction to organizations on available funding and allowed processes with state funds.
- Assist student organizations with conference and hotel registrations, flight bookings, and completion of travel forms.
- Assist, train and provide on-going support to student organizations.
- Annual training for all student organizations providing policies and procedures on Workday/Workflow processes. Assist student organizations with travel arrangements, purchases, and forms to be completed for their activities such as meetings, conferences, Oktoberfest, donations, etc.
University Farm responsibilities (20%):
- Process payments for farm expenses.
- Deposit incoming funds.
- Reconcile credit card transactions for staff.
- Update and reconcile accounts.
- Update and submit inventory.
Vice President for Administration and Finance responsibilities (15%):
- Provide administrative support to the VP of Administration and Finance and the Controller.
- Coordinate meetings including securing conference rooms, resources, and materials.
- Arrange and coordinate travel and travel reimbursement.
- Oversee Vice President’s calendar and scheduling meetings.
- Submit correspondences for the Vice President.
- Oversee and update the webpages for Vice President for Administration and Finance, Purchasing, Standing Committees, and University policies.
- Process and oversee Staff Development submittals and funding.
- Provide overall building assistance in submitting work requests for various repairs and maintenance. Notify the building employees with various issues and repairs.
Other responsibilities (10%):
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining high-quality customer service using professionalism, approachability, and sound judgement.
- Process payments for university expenses including General Institutional Expenses, deposit incoming funds, and balancing service clearing accounts.
- Compose and disseminate correspondence, forms, and reports.
- Assist with hiring, training, and supervising student employees.
- Order office supplies.
- Responsible for day-to-day phone and email communication for the office.
- Other duties as assigned by the VP of Administration and Finance, Controller, Purchasing Director or requests from other areas of Administration and Finance and campus for assistance.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references.
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Kathy Herrman, Purchasing Director
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.