The Department of Teacher Education at Fort Hays State University invites applicants for appointment to a 9-month position at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor (tenure track) of Teacher Education.
Full-time on-campus position to teach education coursework (on-campus and online) to undergraduate candidates. Development of a research agenda, including the involvement of undergraduate candidates is expected. The successful candidate must be committed to excellence in undergraduate instruction, participate in the department's distance learning activities, participate in internship supervision, and contribute to advising, service, and scholarly components of the College of Education. In addition, the candidate must be able to consistently be on-campus in Hays, KS for this position. Information about the Department of Teacher Education is available at https://www.fhsu.edu/te/
- Candidates must hold a Ph.D. or Ed.D. (in a field related to teacher preparation) from a regionally accredited institution by the time of appointment. ABD candidates may be considered if their degree is conferred by the time of appointment.
- A minimum of 3 consecutive years teaching experience in a public school in the U.S.
- Experience teaching at the K-12 level.
- Hold a current (or expired) state teaching license in the U.S.
- Must be able to consistently teach and hold office hours on campus in Hays, KS. (A virtual position will not be considered).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. at time of appointment.
- Knowledge of current research and best practices related to teacher education.
- An active research agenda associated with K-12 education.
- A record or teaching, service and scholarship commensurate with promotion and tenure guidelines in the Department of Teacher Education at FHSU.
- Experience teaching at the elementary level.
- Experience teaching at the higher education level.
- Experience teaching online courses.
RANK: Instructor or Assistant Professor
APPOINTMENT DATE: Fall 2023
PRIORITY DEADLINE: April 14, 2023. Review of applications will begin immediately following the priority deadline and will continue until filled.
SALARY: $49,000 (Instructor); $56,000 (Assistant Professor). Based on 90% of CUPA in accordance
with FSHU policy.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit the following materials (only complete applications will be reviewed by the committee)
- A letter of interest that includes the applicant’s qualifications for the position, how they will establish and maintain a research agenda, and a description of how they would contribute to the development of an equitable and inclusive community in the Teacher Education Department and FHSU campus through their teaching, research, and service.
- Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial transcripts
- Diversity statement describing your experience working with students and faculty/staff from diverse backgrounds and how your experiences have reflected your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (200 words maximum)
- Three references with names and contact information. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Betsy Crawford
Search Committee Chair
Department of Teacher Education
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment of 13,000 (including 3,700 on the Hays campus, a unique China partnership program with enrollment of nearly 3,300 students, and Online enrollment of over 6,000) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
for further information on how this might affect you.